Friday, April 26, 2013

Veggie Chili (could be vegetarian)

My recipe uses ground turkey, but you could easily use tofu, or just stick with the veggies and beans. So good! Joel and I were fighting over who got the leftovers for lunches. And for a man who doesnt like leftovers, that says a lot. He took leftover zucchini lasagna today, too.

Brown 1lb ground turkey with onion and garlic (can use powders, not salts, if you dont have any of either). I used 1 Tbsp onion powder and 3/4Tbsp minced garlic. I also added about 1 Tbsp chili powder and 1/2 packet of taco seasoning.

While browning add 1-2 celery stalks chopped, 1 bell pepper (I used yellow) chopped, large handful of kale chopped (about 1-2cups), 1/2-1 zucchini chopped, and any other veggies you love or have on hand.

When meat is brown, add 1 can tomatoes and chilis (rotels) and let bubble. I also added some black pepper and chopped jalepeno. Dont add too much unless you like spicy. I add some (about 1Tbsp of chopped jalepeno) for flavor, but add more jalepeno to my bowl or the chili is too hot for the kids.

After about a minute of simmering, add 1 can rinsed kidney beans and 1 can rinsed black beans (you can easily add more or beans you like, this is what I used).

After 3-5 minutes of a low boil you are all set. We like it with tortilla chips or saltines and topped with jalepeno and grated cheese.

Sorry no photo -- was eaten too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment